WLA ACT Committee
2016/17 Committee Members
General Committee Members
Who are we?
The WLA ACT Committee currently comprises four executive and four general committee members. We also nominate the ACT representative to the Australian Women Lawyers.
The committee is responsible for managing the activities and initiatives of the WLA ACT and also oversees four subcommittees - policy, events, finance and marketing, and memberships.
What are the committee and subcommittees like?
Our committee and subcommittee members pride ourselves on being an inclusive and friendly network, qualities also reflected in our membership. We work in different areas of the law and come from different backgrounds. Some of us have a terrible weakness for puns.
All of us have a keen interest in promoting the interests of our members within our community and beyond. We love being engaged with our members and are also active across a range of issues and platforms. The Committee meets monthly.
The Policy Subcommittee aims to:
- promote diversity and inclusion in the legal profession in the ACT; and
- bring justice and social issues that affect women to the attention of WLA ACT members and the community.
We develop resources, programs and events directed to:
- employment issues affecting women such as sexual harassment and discrimination;
- flexible work practices for lawyers;
- retention, attrition and pay equity for female lawyers; and
- career progression of female lawyers into leadership roles.
We also promote awareness of human rights issues that affect women including by organising panel discussions and events, preparing submissions and reports and publicising law reform issues.
The policy subcommittee meets monthly. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Policy Subcommittee Members:
Prue Bindon (Chair)
Finance, Membership and Marketing Subcommittee
The Finance Membership and Marketing Subcommittee is responsible for:
- developing and monitoring WLA ACT’s budget and expenditure;
- managing memberships, including working with the committee to attract new members; and
- marketing, including promoting WLA ACT to the Canberra legal community, managing WLA ACT’s brand, and managing WLA ACT’s online presence.
The Secretary and Treasurer sit on the Finance, Membership and Marketing subcommittee. The subcommittee provides the practical support to WLA ACT, which enables the organisation to meet its objectives.
The Finance, Membership and Marketing subcommittee meets monthly. We are always happy for new members. If you are interested in joining the subcommittee, please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
Finance, Membership and Marketing Subcommittee Members:
Emma Lawrence (Chair)
The Events Subcommittee works with the general committee members to determine the calendar of events and activities throughout the year. Its hardworking members strategically organise, plan and coordinate with members of the judiciary and prominent women in the legal profession, as well as academics and women advocates to bring together exciting, diverse and informative events.
We strive to make our events:
- A celebration of the value of women in the legal profession;
- A platform for networking, connecting and fostering relationships; and
- A way to educate our members and the wider public, including CPD events.
A snapshot of our past events include:
- Mentoring events
- Networking events
- Family focused events
- Our annual Junior Lawyers’ Pay and Conditions Survey
- Our annual Law Week Dinner (in collaboration with the ACT Law Society)
- Regular continuing professional development seminars
For more information on our past and upcoming events, please see out Events page.
The Events subcommittee meets monthly (usually over a wine!). Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Events Subcommittee Members:
Tori Cumner (Co-Chair)
Fiona Paton (Co-Chair)
Are you interested in getting involved with a WLA subcommittee?
Email us at email@example.com. We would love to hear from you!
If you would like to join WLA, you can click here to complete our membership application form.